Tsinghua University has established a comprehensive financial aid system for outstanding full-time international graduate students, which consists of scholarships, assistantships, and awards.
At present, Tsinghua University mainly provides following scholarships for outstanding prospective full-time international graduate students.
Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS). The Full CGS, usually covers tuition, stipend, on-campus accommodation (or accommodation subsidy), and medical insurance. The Partial CGS includes one or a few items in the Full CGS. Annual Review is strictly required for all CGS holders.
Tuition Scholarships, for example, the Beijing Government Scholarship for International Students, cover full or partial tuition fee with a duration of one academic year. Applicants may apply for Tuition Scholarships annually (competitive).
Tsinghua University offers opportunities of Teaching Assistantship, Research Assistantship, and Management Assistantship for current graduate students. Usually, application for assistantships is open in the first two weeks of the semester.
Outstanding current domestic and international graduate students can compete for awards and honors at Tsinghua. The reward and honor system includes Top Grade Award, Jiang Nanxiang Award, 12 · 9 Award, Graduate Students All-Round Excellence Awards, Specialized Awards, school/department awards, and Outstanding Doctoral and Master's Graduates of Tsinghua University.
1. Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS)
In order to promote the mutual understanding, cooperation and exchanges in various fields between China and other countries, the Chinese government has set up a series of scholarship programs to sponsor international students, teachers and scholars to study and conduct research in Chinese universities.
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) entrusted by the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China, is in charge of the enrollment and the administration of CGS programs.
The CGS includes a series of subprograms. Each program has its own application channel. Refer to the CSC website for further information. http://www.campuschina.org/
Application through authorities like the Chinese Embassy in your home country
Consult the relevant authorities like the Chinese Embassy in your home country in advance for the application schedule and requirements. For the final result of the CGS application through the Chinese embassy or consulate-general, please consult the authority above.
The application of some CGS programs opens much earlier than that of the CGS-Chinese University Program. For instance, the CGS Bilateral Program usually opens for application between November and April (timelines vary by country).
Application through Tsinghua University (highly competitive)
The number of candidates can be recommended by Tsinghua University is very limited and application through Tsinghua University is highly competitive. Tsinghua University usually select candidates from pre-admitted applicants of remarkable merit.
The application procedure through Tsinghua University is as below:
Step 1: Get pre-admitted
Step 2: Complete CGS Online Application on the CSC website when informed by your school/department (usually in late March or April)
Step 3: The University selects CGS candidates and nominates to the CSC
Step 4: The CSC makes the final decision
1. The applicant must be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, and be in good health.
2. The requirements for applicants’ degree and age are that the applicant must:
be a bachelor’s degree holder and no more than 35 when applying for the master’s programs;
be a master’s degree holder and no more than 40 when applying for the doctoral programs.
*Bachelor’s degree holders to pursue doctoral degrees at Tsinghua University could apply for CGS as well (through dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country or through Tsinghua University)
3. Applicants must be pre-admitted by Tsinghua University and be recommended for CGS by the pre-admitted school/department. Otherwise, the application will not be considered or processed by the University.
4. Applicants are not offered with other scholarships for graduate study at Tsinghua University.
5. Applicants have not been recommended by other institutions or universities for CGS for future study.
6. Other restrictions, e.g. program, major, nationality, etc. Applicants can consult the scholarship contact at the target school/department for details.
For example, applicants for joint degree programs and applicants for language and literature programs of one’s native language or a third language, such as English, French, etc. cannot apply for CGS through the University. Some schools/departments/programs do not recommend CGS candidates. CGS-Chinese University Program is open to certain majors at Tsinghua University and some CGS sub-programs is open to applicants from certain countries. In general, priority will be given to applicants who are not studying in China, and the specific limit of applicants who have been studying in China will be determined according the requirement of higher authorities of the year.
Usually, applicants have a period of about two weeks to complete the CGS online application after being informed by the schools/departments. Considering the required application documents and their period of validation, applicants should prepare the documents properly in advance. The following documents should be submitted online. CGS applicants do no need to mail the hard copies to Tsinghua University.
1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (in Chinese or English)
The Form will be generated automatically by the CSC system when the applicants complete the CGS online application. Applicants should fill out the application with accurate, authentic, and valid information.
2. ID Photo
3. A Scanned Copy of Passport Home Page
Applicant shall submit a clear scanned copy of his/her ordinary passport with validity later than March 1, 2022. If the validity of the current passport does not meet the requirement, please apply for a new passport before submitting the application.
4. Diploma and Certificate of Highest Education
Prospective diploma winners must submit official proof of student status by their current school. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
5. Academic Transcripts of Highest Education (in Chinese or English)
Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
6. A Study Plan or Research Proposal (in Chinese or English)
It should be a personal statement and a brief introduction of the study plan or research proposal of a minimum of 800 words.
7. Two Recommendation Letters (in Chinese or English)
Applicants for graduate programs must submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English from professors or associate professors.
8. A Photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form (in Chinese or English)
The original copy should be kept by the applicants. The form is designed by the Chinese quarantine authority and can be obtained from the dispatching authority. The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.
9. Non-Criminal Record Report (in Chinese or English)
The applicant shall submit a valid certificate of Non-Criminal Record issued by the local public security authority, usually issued within 6 months prior to the submission date of the application. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
10. Valid Language Qualification Certificate (e.g., HSK certificates, IELTS or TOFEL report)
All the CGS applicants of graduate programs offered in Chinese must provide valid HSK-4 certificate and score report or above without any exemptions.
Non-native English speakers of graduate programs offered in English must provide TOEFL or IELTS report according to the requirements of admission.
11. Example of Art Work (Only for the applicants for Fine Arts)
Applicants for fine arts programs must submit their own works which include two sketches, two color paintings and two other works.
12. Other Supporting Documents
1. The specific qualification for the scholarships will be determined according to relevant requirements of the awarding institutions in the year.
2. Make sure your CGS application documents meet the requirements of CSC (链接：https://www.campuschina.org/content/details3_74779.html). Any invalid, incorrect, inauthentic documents or information will disqualify your scholarship application.
2. Tuition Scholarship
Tuition Scholarship covers full or partial tuition with a duration of one academic year, and applicants can apply annually (competitive).
Prospective students do not need to fill out extra application forms for Tuition Scholarship. Tuition Scholarship candidates are selected from outstanding pre-admitted applicants according to their intention of scholarship application in the system of Application for Graduate admission.
3. Siemens China Scholarship
The Siemens China Scholarship at Tsinghua University is a full scholarship offered by Siemens Ltd., China to support outstanding international students to pursue Ph.D. degrees in Tsinghua University.
The scholarship recipients will cooperate with Siemens in eight fields, such as Artificial Intelligence, Future of Automation, Autonomous Robotics, etc. to conduct research in the Ph.D. stage.
Through the study and practice in the forefront of industrial technology development, scholarship recipients will lay the foundation for the growth of innovative talents in the industry.
For further information, please refer to Siemens China Scholarship.
4. Full Scholarships for Certain Programs
CGS - TUNEM Program: International Master’s Program in Nuclear Engineering and Management
Youth of Excellence Scheme of China: International Master's Program in Public Health
MIDG Scholarship: Master of Public Administration in International Development and Governance Program
IMPA Scholarship: International Master of Public Administration Program
Schwarzman Scholars Program: Schwarzman Scholars Program
IMPA-BRI Scholarship: International Master of Public Administration in the Belt and Road Initiative Program
IMP-MSE Scholarship: International Master Program of Material Science and Engineering
1. Before you apply for scholarships, complete your application for graduate programs at Tsinghua University first. Tsinghua University only selects scholarship candidates from pre-admitted students.
2. Qualified applicants may apply for multiple scholarships at the same time, but some scholarships cannot be combined with others.
3. Refer to Scholarship FAQ for scholarship inquiries and feel free to consult your school/department/program if you have further questions about scholarships.
Scholarship Contacts at Schools/Departments
4. This webpage of introduction to scholarships and Scholarship FAQ provides the most up-to-date and comprehensive information about scholarships. Tsinghua University reserves the right to make changes according to the latest policies of scholarship awarding institutions.
Financial Aid Office
Graduate School, Tsinghua University
Office Hour: 8:00-12:00, 13:00-17:00, work days