Admission to Graduate Programs of Tsinghua University 2020（For International Students）
Tsinghua University (THU) offers Master's and Doctoral degree programs to international students in 42 schools and departments (see Appendix for Catalog of Graduate Programs of 2020). Among them, 21 Master's degree programs and 8 Doctoral degree programs are offered fully in English, while others are offered fully in Chinese or bilingually in Chinese and English.
Master's degree programs are required to be completed in 2-3 years, and Doctoral degree programs in 3-4 years. For students with a Bachelor's degree who move on directly to pursue a Doctoral degree program, the study period is normally 4-5 years. Graduate students who have completed the tasks required in their training programs within the designated length of study, passed their assessments and met the graduation requirements will be allowed to graduate by the University, and will be granted a graduation certificate. Students who are qualified to be awarded a degree will receive the relevant master's or doctoral degree and diploma.
Required Qualifications of Applicants
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport.
Master's degree program applicants should have a Bachelor's degree or an equivalent degree to a Bachelor's degree (or above) in China. Doctoral Degree program applicants should have a Master's degree or an equivalent degree to a Master's degree (or above) in China.
*Bachelor's degree holders may apply to pursue some specific doctoral degree programs directly. Please see the application requirements on 'Application Instructions for Bachelor's Degree Holders to Pursue Doctoral Degrees' Click here for Instructions and the 'Catalog of Graduate Programs 2020-Doctoral Programs for International Students 2020' Click here for Catalog.
Applicants should be in good health and of good character, be well-behaved and be willing to abide by China's laws and regulations, as well as Tsinghua's rules.
Language competence requirements:
(a) For programs offered in Chinese: see the Notes of 'Catalog of Graduate Programs 2020'.Click here.
(b) For programs offered in English: see the target programs' specific requirements.Click here.
Note: Please be sure to review any additional requirements that may be required by the target school/department.
How to Apply
Applicants should complete an Online Application on this website during the designated THU application period. (Exceptions: applicants for Schwarzman Scholars and MBA programs, please apply on the specified websites). Applicants should fill in the application information online, upload the application documents listed below to the Online Application System, and pay the application fee online at the time of submission.
Graduate Programs offered in Chinese: (Beijing Time)
1st Round: 8:00 AM Oct 15, 2019——17:00 PM Dec 15, 2019
2nd Round : 8:00 AM Jan 1, 2020——17:00 PM Mar 1, 2020
Graduate Programs offered in English: Please consult the information on each individual program for specific application schedules.Click here.
☆The winter break of THU will be from Jan 16,2020 to Feb 12,2020. The application system will still be available during the winter break, but online verification might be delayed due to the vacation. Applicants are therefore recommended to complete their application at least two or three weeks in advance.
Please upload all the listed documents below to the application system:
1. Personal statement. Master's degree program applicants should submit a Personal Statement.Doctoral degree program applicants should submit both a Personal Statement and a brief introduction of their research experience or research plan.
2. Degree certificate. Master's degree program applicants should submit their Bachelor's degree certificate. Doctoral degree program applicants should submit both their Master's and Bachelor's degree certificates.Applicants who will not graduate before the application deadline must provide a pre-graduation certificate from their current academic institution. In this case, the degree certificate must be submitted before registration.
3. Academic transcript. Master's degree program applicants should submit the academic transcript of their undergraduate study. Doctoral degree program applicants should submit academic transcripts of both their graduate and undergraduate studies.Applicants who will not graduate before the application deadline must provide their current academic transcript.In this case,the completed academic transcript must be submitted before registration.
4. HSK certificate and score report for programs offered in Chinese.For related requirements,please check the program remarks in 'Catalog of Graduate Programs 2020'.Applicants whose native language is Chinese or whose university study is conducted in Chinese can be exempted from the requirement to submit an HSK score report -to qualify for exemption,applicants must provide relevant documents and obtain the permission of the school/department they are applying to.
5. Two academic recommendation letters from scholars who have the title of associate professor or higher, or senior professionals in a related academic field. Please follow the instructions on the online system for submission of online recommendation letters or upload the recommendation letters signed by references .
6. Passport personal information page (personal and ordinary passport). (According to Article 3 of the Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China, any individual who was a Chinese national and then acquired a foreign nationality shall provide a Certificate of Cancellation of Chinese Household registration.)
7.Some programs may require additional application documents; please check the program remarks in 'Catalog of Graduate Programs 2020' or the program admission brochures.
8.For information on the required documents for Bachelor degree holders who wish to pursue Doctoral degrees, please see the 'Application Instructions for Bachelor's Degree Holders to Pursue Doctoral Degrees'.Click here for Instructions
Note：Use the online application to apply. The online application system offers tools for collecting and submitting some, but not all, of the documents and information required for application.
Applicants are required to submit scanned images of all required documents at the time of application. All uploaded documents should be in Chinese or in English; otherwise notarial translations in Chinese or English are required. Once translated, the original documents and certified translations should be submitted together to the application system.
Please scan the original or notarized application documents in color using a scanner. Images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable. Scans of copies are also not acceptable.
The application fee must be paid at the time the application is submitted. (It cannot be covered by the Chinese Government Scholarship). THU is not responsible for errors made by applicants during the application process. There are no application fee refunds.
Applications with incomplete documents or without application fee payment will not be processed.
THU has the right to request that applicants provide the original or notarial hardcopies of application documents for further qualification checks if the uploaded documents are not sufficient.
As some countries' higher education systems are very different from the Chinese system, applicants from different education systems should refer to THU’s online application website for reference.Click here
None of the above application documents will be returned.
Applicants shall guarantee that all the information and application documents submitted in this application are authentic and accurate. If the admission departments or certification authorities verify that the application information or documents are false,positive admission decisions will be cancelled .Students will also be disqualified from enrollment and study even if they have been admitted.
Applicants who are found to be in breach of academic ethics, professional ethics, honesty and trustworthiness, etc., will not be admitted or admission/study qualification will be cancelled after this breach has been verified.
Evaluation and Admission
THU admits students based on evaluation of their application documents together with a further matriculation examination. The admission committee of the applicable department/school will review the application documents and select applicants for further examination. The examination will take the form of one of the following methods: ①Interview Exemption; ②Personal Interview; ③Interview plus written test. If an interview is required for admission, the department/school will contact the applicant directly to arrange an interview appointment and provide information about the interview process.
Admission to graduate programs is determined at department/school level with oversight by Tsinghua University according to the result of the document review, the interview, and other factors. A Certificate of Admission will be issued by THU Graduate Admissions Office after the final admission result is released. Prior to this, applicants may check their admission status via this Application System.(For Schwarzman Scholars and MBA programs' applicants, please check the respective programs' websites).
Tsinghua University mainly offers two kinds of scholarships to prospective full-time international graduate students: Full Scholarship and Tuition Scholarship.
The Full Scholarships, e.g. Chinese Government Scholarship, usually cover tuition, stipend, on-campus accommodation, and medical insurance. Annual Review is strictly required.
The Tuition Scholarships cover full or partial tuition fee support with a duration of one academic year. Applicants may apply for Tuition Scholarships annually (competitive).
For further information about scholarships and the application process, please refer to the webpage 'Scholarships for Prospective Full-time International Graduate Students at Tsinghua University'. Click here
Due to limited dormitory capacity, dormitory rooms must be applied for online; this is conducted on a first come, first served basis. On-campus rooms can only be reserved for those who successfully apply for a dormitory room online. Those who fail to apply for a dorm online must find off-campus accommodation independently.
Detailed information regarding THU life, accommodation, student activities, visas, and residence permit applications, as well as other useful information, is available at http://is.tsinghua.edu.cn Click here
Visa Application and Registration
Admitted students should apply for a student visa (X1 visa). In order to do so, they must take the following documents to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China in their home country. The required documents are: personal and ordinary passport, Certificate of Admission, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners (as well as other original documents of physical examination). Students must enter China with an ordinary passport and X1 visa, and must apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days after arrival in China.
Students are required to arrive at THU (along with the original versions of required documents) and complete their university registration during the dates indicated in the Admission package.
Normally, registration is held in late August. All students should present the required original degree certificates, and submit the degree copies certified by degree conferring institutions or certification authorities upon registration at Tsinghua University for enrollment qualification review. Students who fail the enrollment qualification review will be disqualified from enrollment and study at Tsinghua University.
Costs (Unit: RMB Yuan)
(1) Application Fee: RMB 800
(2) Tuition Fees of Graduate Programs: Please click here
(3) Accidental Injury and Hospitalization Insurance: RMB 800/year
(4) Accommodation in students dormitories on Tsinghua campus, Beijing: RMB 80/day per person for single rooms and AB rooms, RMB 40/day per person for double rooms. For accommodation on Tsinghua campus, Shenzhen, please consult the relevant school/department in Shenzhen.
Applicant who has any objection to the admissions process of the school/department, may file a complaint to the school/department in written form. The school/department should accept the complaint and respond. If the complainant disagrees with the reply, the complainant may appeal to the Graduate Admissions Office.
Graduate Admissions Office, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084 P. R. China
Tel: +86-10-62781380 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://gradadmission.tsinghua.edu.cn
Information of THU
THU Website：www.tsinghua.edu.cn WeChat ID: TsinghuaUni Facebook: www.facebook.com/Tsinghua